IPv6 – Junos IP version 6
Course OverviewThis two-day course provides detailed coverage of IP version 6 (IPv6) operations including Neighbor Discovery, ICMPv6, IPv6 protocol independent routing, OSPFv3, IS-IS, BGP, RIPng, transitions methods, and troubleshooting methodology and commands supported by the Junos operating system. Through demonstrations and hands-on labs, students will gain experience in configuring and monitoring the Junos operating system and in monitoring device and IPv6 protocol operations. This course uses Juniper Networks SRX Series Services Gateways for the hands-on component, but the lab environment does not preclude the course from being applicable to other Juniper hardware platforms running the Junos OS.
Course ObjectivesAfter successfully completing this course, students should be able to:
- Describe the similarities and differences between IP version 4 (IPv4) and IPv6.
- Explain the different extension headers and their uses.
- Identify the different IPv6 address types.
- Explain the IPv6 neighbor discovery process.
- Describe the maximum transmission unit (MTU) discovery process.
- Configure and monitor the Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP).
- Define the routing tables used for IPv6 routing.
- Explain and configure static, aggregated, and generated IPv6 routes.
- Identify and explain IPv6 firewall filters.
- Describe and implement OSPFv3 routing.
- Explain and configure IPv6 networks using IS-IS.
- Describe and implement BGP peering sessions using IPv6.
- Identify the different transition methods.
- Explain concepts for using dual stack.
- Explain and identify the different methods for tunneling IPv6 traffic.
- Describe a basic troubleshooting method.
- Identify and explain common operational mode commands used for troubleshooting IPv6 problems.
- Explain protocol enhancements in Routing Information Protocol next generation (RIPng).
- Describe and configure RIPng.
Target AudienceThis course benefits individuals responsible for configuring and monitoring IPv6 in the Junos OS.
Course OutlineDay 1 Chapter 1: Course Introduction Chapter 2: Introduction to IPv6 Addressing
- Comparing IPv4 and IPv6
- Extension Headers
- IPv6 Address
- Interface Configuration
- ICMPv6 Overview
- Neighbor Discovery
- MTU Discovery
- IPv6 Routing Tables
- Protocol Independent Routing
- Firewall Filters
- OSPFv3 Overview
- OSPFv3 Configuration
- IS-IS Overview
- IS-IS Configuration
- BGP Overview
- BGP Configuration
- Transition Plans
- Dual Stack
- Basic Troubleshooting Guide
- IPv6 Show Commands
- Introduction to RIPng
- Configuring RIPng
Currently Scheduled Classes