This hands-on training course builds your skills in the VMware View™ suite of products: VMware View™ Manager, View Composer, and VMware ThinApp®. This course is based on the View 5.0 and ThinApp 4.6 releases.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Install and configure View components.
- Create and manage dedicated and floating desktop pools.
- Deploy and manage linked-clone virtual desktops.
- Configure and manage desktops that run in local mode.
- Configure user profiles with View Persona Management.
- Configure secure access to desktops through a public network.
- Use ThinApp to package applications.
Who Should Attend
System administrators and system integrators responsible for deploying the VMware® virtual desktop infrastructure.
1 Course Introduction
- Introductions and course logistics
- Course objectives
2 Introduction to VMware View
- View features and components
3 View Connection Server
- Installation and configuration
4 View Desktops
- View Agent
- PCoIP and Remote Desktop Protocol remote display protocols
- USB redirection and multimedia redirection
5 View Client Options
- View Client
- View Client with Local Mode
- Thin clients and zero clients
- Virtual Printing with View Clients
6 View Administrator
- Configuring the View environment
- Managing users, sessions, and policies
- Configuring and provisioning automated pools of desktops
- Role-based delegated administration
- Monitoring the View environment
7 Configuring and Managing Linked Clones
- View Composer operations
- Deploying and provisioning linked-clone desktops
- Managing linked-clone desktops
- Managing persistent disks
8 Local-Mode Desktops
- Configuring local-mode desktops
- View Transfer Server and the Transfer Server repository
- Local-mode operations
9 Managing View Security
- Network configuration and authentication options
- Configuring the View security server
10 View Persona Management
- Configuring user profiles with View Persona Management
- View Persona Management and Windows roaming profiles
- Configuring a View Persona Management deployment
- Best practices for a View Persona Management deployment
11 Command-Line Tools and Backup Options
- vdmadmin utility
- Clients systems in kiosk mode
- Backing up the View databases
- Restoring the View databases
12 View Connection Server Performance and Scalability
- Replica connection servers
- Performance considerations and load balancing
13 VMware ThinApp
- Using ThinApp to capture applications
- Deploying and updating ThinApp packages
- Virtualizing Internet Explorer 6 for use on a Windows 7 system
- Managing ThinApp applications in View
Before attending this course, you must be able to perform the following tasks:
- Create a template in VMware vCenter Server™ and deploy a virtual machine from the template.
- Modify a template customization file.
- Open a virtual machine console in vCenter Server and access the guest operating system.
- Configure Active Directory services.
Additional student requirements are:
- Experience in Microsoft Windows Active Directory administration
- Experience with VMware vSphere®
- Completion of VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage